Traveling can open our eyes to a world beyond our backyard. It can precipitate confidence in doing and inspire a lifelong habit of stepping out of our normal environments in earnest to learn.
For students, field trips are one of the best means of this global exposure. When students leave a typical classroom setting for a more experiential one, they often learn how to make more relatable connections, solve realistic problems, and navigate the world around them. In essence, to better understand just about anything, we must choose to participate in it.
At EXPLO, we are all about this. With our summer programs’ home bases at Yale University, Wellesley College, and Wheaton College, our students can choose from over 50 trips each weekend, allowing them to explore carefully curated locations throughout New York City, Boston, and greater New England. Each experience solidifies learning through exploration and informs educational, social, and emotional concepts.
Ten EXPLO-Inspired Trips For Your Family
Planning a whole week’s worth of activities over spring break for you and your kid can be a real challenge. Trust us, we get it. It's why we work ten months out of the year to make sure your child's three weeks at EXPLO are meaningful, exploratory, and fun.
Because of this, we wanted to give families who live in New England (or are traveling here during break!) a compiled list of some of the most popular trips our students embark on during the summer. We hope this sparks ideas of people, places, and things you and your family can explore during your child's time off together.
1. Silo Cooking School - Take the family on a hands-on culinary adventure, where you’ll travel to (what feels like) Italy and prepare rustic fare from margherita pizza with fresh basil to Italian Torani sodas.
2. Hub Parkour Training Center - Test your skills and knowledge in the art of secret agentry. Head to Hub Parkour Training Center, where you’ll run up walls, climb through obstacles, and use your agility to jump between platforms.
3. Blue Hills Hiking - With trails ranging from .5 to 15 miles, take a hike through the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, MA. After traversing the mountainside, visit the Trailside Museum to learn about local birds of prey before heading out for some ice cream at Dairy Barn of Randolph.
4. Guggenheim and The MET - For the artist and lover of architecture, there’s nothing quite like the Guggenheim, one of the 20th century’s most important landmarks. Then head to one of the largest art galleries in the world, The MET, which houses more than 2,000,000 works of art from Manet, Monet, Van Gogh, David, Caravaggio, and El Greco.
5. Fenway Park Tours - Travel to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, where you will tour one of the most iconic landmarks representing America’s greatest pastime. Learn about all aspects of the park, from the storied history of baseball to the conception of the Green Monster.
6. Whale Watch + New England Aquarium - Make your way through Boston Harbor in search of breaching whales. After, venture back to land and visit the New England Aquarium, where 2,000 species of fish live in a four-story giant ocean tank.
7. Skyventure Indoor Skydiving - Ever wondered what it would be like to be a skydiver? This is your chance to find out – without jumping 20,000 feet from a moving airplane.
8. Harlem Food Tour - Welcome to Harlem! On this walking food, music, and history tour, you’ll sample tastings of Harlem classics, such as traditional soul foods of New York to the deep South, the Caribbean, West Africa, and beyond.
9. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and Paint Nite - Grab your sketch books and head to Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (get a discount if you wear Red Sox attire!). Tour this impressive collection of sculpture, paintings, furniture, and ceramics while you learn about Gardner’s lavish life. If you are feeling inspired, after, head to Boston’s Paint Nite to create your own masterpiece.
10. Surfing at Narragansett Beach - Carve out some waves and ride some barrels.... Or just focus on standing up on your board. Learn from Warm Winds Surf Shop how to paddle out and catch a wave as you take on the Narragansett seas.
At EXPLO, your weekends are just as individualized as your weekdays. With over 100 courses, trips, and evening events to choose from, you will have the opportunity to select an immersive summer experience specific to your interests — or, just as important, an experience you’ve never tried before.